Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Tutorial: Making Ruffles the Easy Way!

Today I’m going to show you the way I make ruffles…the easy way.  I learned this from my mother-in-law who has several sewing tricks up her sleeve.  She learned them from working in a sewing factory when she was in her teens.
SUC53991
You’ll need:  Fabric you want gathered, coordinating thread and bobbin
(I used black thread on yellow so you can see what I’m doing!)
machine settings
Set your machine stitch width to a zigzag.  I like it to be a big one, but just make it a good size.  I do a regular stitch length, about a 3 on my machine.
SUC53998
Before you start sewing, go ahead and pull both the bobbin and the top thread out until it’s a little longer than the length of the material you are going to gather.  Then put the material under the presser foot and lay the thread you pulled out on top of the material as shown above.
We’ll sew a zigzag stitch on top of the thread you pulled out.
SUC53999
When you’re done, it should look like this! 
SUC54000
ONLY trim the threads that just sewed the zigzag.  Keep the threads that you pulled out of the machine before sewing long.  I’ve cut all the threads several times and had to start over!  bummer, so be careful when cutting threads!
SUC54001
Now take those tails and pull to gather, just like you do when you gather with the bobbin thread.  This way is easier, faster, and it gets a more uniform ruffle.  I’ve used this for LONG pieces of fabric, and short ones.  It works the same.
SUC54002
Now you’ve got a gathered piece for your project.  This works great on knits for t-shirt refashions, or cottons for gathers in bags or other projects!  Enjoy!
lynettesignaturebrown

16 comments:

  1. neat. i just made a ruffle onesie for a friend. i'll have to try your technique next time :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tutorial! I linked to it on Craft Gossip Sewing:
    http://sewing.craftgossip.com/tutorial-easy-fabric-gathers-with-couched-cord/2011/05/06/

    --Anne

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH MY GOSH so great! I just started sewing and have had a hard time getting ruffling just right - this seems much easier. THANKS for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great technique, thanks for sharing! Can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for reminding me of this techique! I have also seen it where dental floss is used as the gathering thread (not the zig zag thread)for strength, I think it was in an old sewing book. With this technique is it still necessary to do two lines of gathers? or just one? Often in patterns, etc, they suggest two lines, I am never certain why except in case the first line breaks?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, I never would have thought of that! This will save a lot of time and frustration. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for this wonderful idea. I often wondered how this was done because I usually get almost to the end of what I want to gather and the thread breaks. I'm definitely going to try this! Thanks again; have a wonderful weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for sharing this technique! I made my oldest daughter a dress and used your tutorial for gathering the sleeves. You can see what I made on my blog. I also linked back to this post so others can find your tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my word, why didn't someone tell me this a long time ago?!?! Cannot wait to try it, sooo much easier! Thanks for sharing!

    Mary
    www.Redo101.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing! That looks soooo easy! I now have it bookmarked!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great idea! I think even *I* could do that ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you! This looks super easy! I was getting very frustrated with ruffles last night, but this looks like something I could do. =)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you! You have just saved my Sunday. This was so much easier,and I will use this method in future.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm super excited to have found this tutorial. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks a bunch for commenting! Have a fabulous day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...