Well Hello there! I've been super busy with homework lately, and as I was listening to an online lecture, I realized I could whip up a fabric flower and show you how to make your own! So here we go!
This is what we'll make today:
(And you can totally put a button or bead in the middle...I just didn't have time to do it, and I wanted to get this thing POSTED!)
First off, you'll need:
2 different coordinating fabrics (I used solid colors, but designs would probably be super cute)
Needle and Thread
Scissors
Measuring Tape (or just eyeball it too!)
Button/Beads (something for the middle)
Figure out which fabric you want on the top, and which fabric you want on the bottom. I chose yellow for the top and pink for the bottom.
Lay out the fabric you want on top. Measure 2 inches, and cut a slit in the fabric.
Then start ripping the fabric to make your strip about 18 inches long.
Don't worry, the fabric will stay the right width as you rip! (Love this method!)
Then you'll get the material for the bottom of the flower, and rip a 3 inch wide strip by about 18 inches long.
The you'll have 2 strips of fabric:
Fold them hot dog style to make skinny and long strips, and then pin them.
*If you want your flowers to have frayed edged, pin against the folded edges. If you want your flowers to have finished edges, pin against the frayed edges.
I pinned against the frayed edges to have the finished look.
(sorry for the blurry pictures! Don't know what the deal is today!)
That's a faraway look of it pinned together.
Then you'll start sewing a long stitch (basting stitch) down the length of your strips. As you go, gather or "crinkle," it up. Be careful not to pull too hard, or you'll break your thread and get to start over! :)
You'll end up with a shape like this. Pull really tight to keep the center really small and tight.
On the back side, you'll sew a few stitches to close the flower up.
Here's a funny picture to help you get an idea. Sew all the way to the edge and keep it tight.
Then grab your hot glue gun and stick a button, bead, or other embellishment on and you're done!
*I taught some teenage girls to make these several weeks ago, and most of them had a hard time keeping the middles tight. Some of them made really small stitches, so I think that was part of the problem. I just grabbed my hot glue gun and secured the flowers more in the middle.
Have fun with this, and leave me a comment if you have any questions!
I saw you entered the giveaway at UCreate....thanks! I love your name, by the way! I'm Lynette too!
ReplyDeleteYour blog is super fun! I can't wait to see what you make next!
Lynette
getyourcrafton.blogspot.com
This is an easy to remember tute! thanks I'll try it.
ReplyDeleteKathy
Cute, cute! Glad you dropped by my blog so I can now check yours out!! Thanks for the kind words about the button!
ReplyDelete